Easy to Follow Tips for Senior Citizens Who Want to Lose Weight
1. For seniors, eating small meals throughout the course of the day can prove beneficial to their health. Such a diet can also help reduce the feeling of hunger. Between the main meals, you can eat raw vegetables and fruits.
2. Food for those over 60 should contain 1900–2100 calories per day. If the task is to lose weight, then this figure should be reduced. But dramatically reducing the energy value of the diet at this age is not recommended. Therefore, a strict vegetarian diet is harmful for older people.
3. Hardly digestible fats (lard, sausages, butter, etc.) must, if not excluded, be severely limited. After all, heavy fats clog blood vessels with cholesterol. Fats can stay longer in the stomach and thereby eliminate the feeling of hunger. The solution is simple: you need to replace animal fats with vegetable. Be sure to consult with your doctor for suitable advice.
4. Protein in the diet of older people should be about 0.8–1 g per 1 kg of body weight. Fish, cottage cheese, seafood, nuts are some of the healthy sources of protein. Meat should be consumed no more than 1-2 times per week.
5. Seniors who want to lose weight, in particular, need to limit the consumption of carbohydrates – up to 100–200 g per day. For this, start by reducing the amount of easily digestible carbohydrates (sugar, honey, pastry, pasta and flour products, rice, semolina, potatoes) from your diet. Fermented milk products with zero fat content, enriched with live bacteria, are especially useful for older people – such food also promotes better bowel movement and promotes weight loss. Among fruits, apples should be preferred among all others. They contain an element called “epicatechin polyphenol”, which rejuvenates the heart and improves blood circulation in your body.
6. With the rising age, the feeling of thirst may get affected, however, it is obligatory for older people to drink 8 – 10 glasses water per day.
7. In order to lose weight more effectively, fasting can be arranged 1-3 times a week. It can boost metabolism and help quickly remove excess fat from your body.
Medicare Supplement Plans: Find one here https://www.medisupps.com/medicare-supplement-plans-2019/
A supplemental coverage provided by private insurance carriers can be used to pay for co-pay, deductible, & co-insurance that are excluded from regular Medicare coverage.